Audio Link from where I heard it: Here
Summary: John Paul DeJoria reveals how he made his billions by following one overarching belief – Treat others as you would like to be treated. He demonstrated how success stems from kindness and being of service to others, irrespective of circumstance.
Purpose: The Idea of this post is to share my notes of this interview with you, so you can extract the same insights I did.
The way I heard it:
- We can all do 10x – 15x more than what we doing right now.
- An entrepreneur is someone who just starts something.
- Be in the Re-Order (Recurring) business, not in Sales (Once-off).
- As someone starting out, be prepared for rejection – so it doesn’t shock you.
- Be honourable, so even if they don’t buy from you, they will know you are genuine.
- Do onto others, as you would have others do onto you.
- Success is about your ability to be of service to others.
- Your highest high will come from helping others while expecting nothing in return.
- Make sure you spending your time, on things that you want to do.
- Don’t get upset when you lose something, just come back and do something different.
- Surround yourself with others that have the same energy for your goals.
- Perform your work as though your boss is watching you.
- The thing that separates me from others is my ability to Listen Tentatively
- Everyone has a purpose, even if that is to demonstrate what not to do.
- Pay attention to the vital few, and ignore the trivial many.
- If you can’t manage yourself and your time, you are not a manager.
- Pay yourself first.
- Be present, it will help clear your mind.
- Best Lesson taught: Is to give people the opportunity to do more. When people feel respected and valued, they do more because they want to and enjoy it.
- Useful Business Advice: Success unshared is failure, you don’t need money to share.
- Advice to Startups: Have 6 months living expense saved.
- Don’t invest it all, keep a portion as a liquid Nest Egg.
- Be an empathetic leader.
- Listen and do things for the empowerment of the team or client.
- Don’t let others put you down, what do they know?
Parting Message: In the end, everything will be ok, if it’s not – it is not the end.
What do think?
Love it or Hate it, let me know.